IRELAND: Sales gap widens as shoppers trade down
Aldi and Lidl have gained market share in Ireland as cash-strapped shoppers seek bargains
Discount retailers in Ireland continue to thrive as shoppers show no sign of loosening their purse strings, according to the latest grocery market figures from Kantar Worldpanel.
The figures, released today (18 October), also show the gap between successful and struggling retailers is widening.
Despite price rises, overall sales which cover the 12 weeks ending 2 October fell by 0.2% because shoppers are trading down to cheaper products and spending less money, according to Kantar.
"Those retailers who have been able to convince shoppers they offer value are the ones winning share in the market", said David Berry, commercial director at Kantar Worldpanel.
Aldi, Lidl and Tesco have low price messages which have "resonated" with shoppers, shown by their current respective growth rates of 26%, 5% and 3%. Dunnes Stores has grown value sales by more than 2%, leading to an increase in market share from 22.7% to 23.3%.
Elsewhere, SuperValu continued to perform behind the market with a slight drop in market share to 19.5% from 19.8% in the same period last year. Superquinn and the symbol retailers have once again posted a double digit decline in sales, which Kantar said shows the success major multiple retailers are having with value offers.
A potential merger combining Symington's and Premier Foods plc's brands was a hot topic for analyst speculation this week. Elsewhere, Australian wholesaler Metcash CEO Andrew Reitzer remained optimist...
M&A in the UK food sector was again a hot topic this week as news emerged that private equity investors could be preparing to merge Premier Foods' unwanted brands with fellow UK food group Symington's...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom