UK: Sales rise for Safeway but still lagging behind rivals
UK supermarket group Safeway today [Wednesday] reported like-for-like Q4 sales up 4.1% - a creditable effort but no match for larger rivals Sainsbury's and Tesco. Safeway group like-for-like sales for the year ended 30 March showed a 4.9% improvement, compared with 5.2% in the previous year. A spokesman said the slowdown in the second half was due to disruption at a number of outlets undergoing conversion to hypermarkets.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea
- Maple Leaf buys US plant-based group Lightlife