UK: Sales rise for Safeway but still lagging behind rivals
UK supermarket group Safeway today [Wednesday] reported like-for-like Q4 sales up 4.1% - a creditable effort but no match for larger rivals Sainsbury's and Tesco. Safeway group like-for-like sales for the year ended 30 March showed a 4.9% improvement, compared with 5.2% in the previous year. A spokesman said the slowdown in the second half was due to disruption at a number of outlets undergoing conversion to hypermarkets.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action
- Brazil seeks to cool concerns over meat probe
- US meal delivery service Blue Apron buys BN Ranch