JAPAN: Salt industry urged to restructure
Japan's salt industry has been urged by a subcommittee of the Finance Ministry to submit a structural reform proposal before the subcommittee considers whether to introduce import tariffs on salt, reported the Kyodo News . The ministry has been considering imposing import tariffs to assist the domestic salt industry once it is liberalised in April next year. Most players in Japan's salt sector are small or midrange, and are likely to come under severe pressure from large foreign salt manufacturers, particularly those in China, which produce cheaper salt.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Interview: The Soulfull Project's mission
- Post Holdings 'close to acquiring Weetabix'
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Recipe-kit firm HelloFresh launches into UK retail
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action