UK: Salt reduction review due soon
A review of the food industry's progress in cutting salt from products, and recommendations on the best way forward, are due to be published by the Government shortly.
There is speculation that existing targets, which were supposed to be met at the end of 2012, will be continued in some form.
“A review of the existing salt reduction targets is being taken forward as part of the work of the Responsibility Deal Food Network," a spokesperson for the Food & Drink Federation said today (21 January).
"The Department of Health is currently in the process of considering how best to undertake the process and will publish a paper shortly, in which it will set out the details including the proposed timeframe."
Several products from a range of companies are believed to have missed the 2012 deadline for reducing salt to levels agreed in the Responsibility Deal between the industry and Government.
Some large producers, such as Associated British Foods, General Mills and Heinz, conceded last year that not all of their products were expected to make the agreed cut, despite progress on several product ranges.
In December, a meeting of the Responsibility Deal Food Network's high-level steering group focused on how to persuade more food firms and caterers to sign up to existing targets.
"We retain an on-going commitment to salt reduction and look forward to engaging fully in discussions,” said the FDF.
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- Greencore convenience focus delivers growth
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details