UK: Salt reduction review due soon
A review of the food industry's progress in cutting salt from products, and recommendations on the best way forward, are due to be published by the Government shortly.
There is speculation that existing targets, which were supposed to be met at the end of 2012, will be continued in some form.
“A review of the existing salt reduction targets is being taken forward as part of the work of the Responsibility Deal Food Network," a spokesperson for the Food & Drink Federation said today (21 January).
"The Department of Health is currently in the process of considering how best to undertake the process and will publish a paper shortly, in which it will set out the details including the proposed timeframe."
Several products from a range of companies are believed to have missed the 2012 deadline for reducing salt to levels agreed in the Responsibility Deal between the industry and Government.
Some large producers, such as Associated British Foods, General Mills and Heinz, conceded last year that not all of their products were expected to make the agreed cut, despite progress on several product ranges.
In December, a meeting of the Responsibility Deal Food Network's high-level steering group focused on how to persuade more food firms and caterers to sign up to existing targets.
"We retain an on-going commitment to salt reduction and look forward to engaging fully in discussions,” said the FDF.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
ABF’s Primark brand is the number one choice for consumers looking for clothes so cheap they can afford to ruin them, or for in-trend copies of catwalk products with a short life. The company has expa...
The report presents detailed data on consumption trends in the Bouillons & Stocks category in Australia, analyzing consumption volumes and values at segment level. It also provides indispensable data ...
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide