UK: Samworth Brothers to open Leicester facility
Samworth said it was in the “early planning stages” of the opening of the plant
UK private-label supplier and Ginsters owner Samworth Brothers plans to open a production facility in Leicester.
A spokesperson for the company confirmed the move to just-food today (22 November) and said Samworth was in the "early planning stages" of building the plant, to be based in Ashton Green.
"We expect to exchange contacts with the council in the next few weeks," the spokesperson said. "Full completion of the sale in 2013 will be dependent upon planning consensus being agreed, the construction of an access road and vacant possession of the site."
The spokesperson declined to disclose financial details of the investment, what will be produced at the site or whether production may be moved from any of its other facilities to the new plant.
Samworth runs 13 production facilities in the UK, nine of those are located in Leicestershire.
The company, which produces own-label and branded chilled foods for the retail sector, last month said an increase in costs weighed on annual profits. Net profit for the year to 1 January was GBP31.9m (US$49.6m), up 1.1% on the year.
- Mondelez results and outlook - 7 things to learn
- just-food's pick: Innovation on show at ISM 2016
- Can dairy-free Flora lift Unilever spreads sales?
- Talking shop: Wal-Mart overhaul, Lidl's US charge
- Comment: Hain Celestial cognisant of US challenges
- Arla eyes job cuts as part of 2020 growth push
- Mars to cut artificial colours from global foods
- Chobani targets growth after rejecting offers
- Nestle to acquire remaining stake in Osem
- Kerry Group launches Pure free-from meals in UK