AUS: Sanitarium moves Weet-Bix cereal into gluten-free
Sanitarium described move as "significant innovation"
Australian food group Sanitarium has launched a gluten-free version of flagship breakfast cereal brand Weet-Bix.
The gluten-free option, which went on sale at Coles stores this week, is made with sorghum.
Over the past six months, Sanitarium has recommissioned a Perth-based Weet-Bix factory into a dedicated gluten-free manufacturing site.
Sanitarium described the move as a "significant innovation" and it will serve a growing market for gluten-free products. A common criticism of gluten-free lines is taste, which manufacturers have sought to fend off by adding sugar and salt to the products.
Sanitarium nutritionist and Trish Guy said the gluten-free Weet-Bix tastes "very similar" to the conventional product and she emphasised what she saw as the new line's healthy attributes.
"Like Weet-Bix Original it is also low in sugar," Guy said. "Gluten-Free Weet-Bix is made with sorghum grains, which are naturally gluten free, and has a 96% wholegrain content. It contains three times the antioxidants of oats, based on total polyphenol content the natural antioxidant compounds found in plant foods. It is a good source of iron, high in folate and vitamins B1, B2 and B3 as well as being a source of dietary fibre."
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Prospects for protein: Snacks growth to continue
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- 2 Sisters Food Group posts higher annual losses
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Bird flu leads Dutch to stop poultry distribution
- Live blog: Food Matters Live
- Arla eyes infant formula firms with lactose plant
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- Dairy Product Production in China
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report