AUS: Saputo closes WCB pursuit with 88% stake
Saputo has acquired WCB to move into Australia and to act as platform for expansion in Asia
In a statement issued to the Australian stock exchange, Saputo said it had "acquired a relevant interest of 87.920% of Warrnambool shares".
Saputo, which beat off bids for WCB from Australian firms Bega Cheese and Murray Goulburn, added: "Saputo looks forward to working closely with the board and management of Warrnambool to pursue Warrnambool's strategic objectives and continue to grow its business. At this stage Saputo expects that Warrnambool will remain listed on ASX, unless and until Warrnambool no longer meets criteria for listing."
Japanese food and drinks giant Kirin Holdings has retained its 9.99% stake in WCB, shares acquired through Australian dairy arm Lion.
The stake was purchased when the battle to buy WCB intensified. The move was seen as a way of protecting its business interests. WCB produces cheese sold under brands owned by Lion.
Lion CEO Stuart Irvine, speaking as the company issued a trading update for the year to the end of September, said today: "Our recent investment in Warrnambool Cheese & Butter further strengthens the close relationship we have enjoyed with WCB in our domestic cheese business over many years."
Canadean's "Bega Cheese Limited - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and s...
Dairy in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descripti...
"The Future of the Dairy Food Market in Chile to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company researc...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Why "added-value" is key in LatAm yoghurt
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Consumer Foodservice in Indonesia
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)