CANADA: Saputo Q3 sales, earnings jump
International. Mornigstar propel Saputo earnings
Canadian dairy major Saputo has booked an increase in third-quarter sales and earnings, boosted by its acquisition of Morningstar Foods and a strong performance from the group's international businesses.
The company said that net revenue rose 30% to C$2.34bn (US$2.21bn) in the three month period. Top line gains were driven by the contribution of former Dean Foods unit Morningstar, which Saputo renamed Saputo Dairy Foods USA following its acquisition of the business last year.
Net earnings totalled $144.1m, an in of 10.8%, while EBITDA jumped 22.4% to $47.5m. The contribution Morningstar made to profits more than offset higher ingredients and operational costs that dented profitability in the group's Canadian operating unit.
TD Securities MD Michael Van Aelst said that the result was "decent" but highlighted the challenges facing the North American dairy sector.
In contrast, Van Aelst said Saputo's international earnings performance was "very strong". The group booked a 175% increase in international profits - albeit off a low base. This, was 67% higher than TD Securities expectations.
"Incremental volume growth related to its capacity expansion, much higher
international prices and lower-than-expected costs contributed to the extraordinary jump in profits," Van Aelst said.
Click here for the earnings release.
The Schwan Food Co has appointed Robin Galloway to the post of EVP and chief financial officer....
Mexican bakery giant Grupo Bimbo has reached an agreement to buy Saputo's bakery business for C$120m....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016