CANADA: Saputo Q3 sales, earnings rise
- Q3 net earnings up 7%
- Profits helped by US cheese prices and dairy ingredients markets
- Canadian dollar and December recall have impact
Saputo's sales and earnings rose in the third quarter
Canadian dairy processor Saputo has posted a rise in third-quarter sales and earnings thanks to higher US cheese prices and a stronger market for dairy ingredients.
Saputo yesterday (3 February) booked a 7.2% increase in net earnings to C$104.3m (US$105.9m) for the three months to 31 December. EBITDA was up 3.9% to C$183.5m and sales climbed 3% to C$1.54bn.
A better average block price per pound of cheese in the US, where Saputo also benefited from a "more favourable" dairy ingredients market, helped sales and profits. Higher milk selling prices and a healthier dairy ingredients market in Argentina also boosted the numbers.
However, the strength of the Canadian dollar against the US dollar and the Argentinian peso hit sales by C$27m and EBITDA by C$3m.
The December recall of a clutch of cheese products also meant Saputo recorded a charge of C$1.9m.
Click here for the complete earnings statement.
Canadian dairy company Saputo has reported a 3.4% increase in fourth-quarter profits but missed analyst forecasts on its earnings in the last three months of its financial year....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- Mengniu sales dip but work on costs boosts profits
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis