AUS: Saputo secures control of Australian dairy WCB
Saputo has won over WCB shareholders representing over half the business
The Canadian dairy giant said last night (21 January) it held 52.702% of WCB after more of the company's investors backed its offer.
Saputo passing the majority threshold is a blow to rival bidder Murray Goulburn, the Australian dairy co-op. Murray Goulburn holds a 17.7% stake in WCB. Reacting to the news, Murray Goulburn said it would "commercially assess" Saputo's offer.
Now Saputo's ownership of WCB has passed the 50% mark, the group will, as set out in its bid statement, raise its offer from A$9 per share to A$9.20 per share. Ultimately, if over investors representing over 90% of WCB shares back Saputo's bid, the offer rises to A$9.60 a share.
Saputo's offer has also automatically been extended by 14 days and will close on 4 February.
The takeover battle for WCB was kicked off in September last year when Bega Cheese launched an offer for the Australian dairy firm. Bega subsequently dropped its bid to take control of WCB and accepted Saputo's offer, tendering its 18.8% stake in the company.
Murray Goulburn's offer is worth A$9.50-a-share. However, its bid is subject to competition approval. A competition hearing is scheduled for February but the regulator had suggested it could take "between three and six months" to make a final decision.
Among other significant stakeholders Kirin Holdings, the Japanese food and drinks group, holds a 9.99% stake in WCB. It made the investment soon after the takeover battle begun as a strategic move. WCB produces cheese sold under brands owned by Kirin's Australian dairy arm Lion.
Canadean's "Bega Cheese Limited - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and s...
"The Future of the Dairy Food Market in Chile to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company researc...
"The Future of the Dairy Food Market in Italy to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company researc...
"The Future of the Dairy Food Market in India to 2017: Market Size, Distribution and Brand Share, Key Events and Competitive Landscape" is the result of Canadean’s extensive market and company researc...
National Foods Pty Ltd was acquired from San Miguel Corp by Kirin Holdings Co Ltd in 2007. Since then, it has remained as a standalone business. However, the 2009 acquisition by Kirin Holdings Co Ltd ...
Cheese is made from milk obtained from cow, buffalo, goat, and sheep. Ten pounds of milk is used to prepare one pound of cheese. The taste and texture of cheese vary depending on the source of milk an...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Greek crisis: The impact on shopper behaviour
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020