US: Sara Lee completes bakery sale
Grupo Bimbo has completed its acquisition of Sara Lee's NA bakery unit
As part of the transaction, Grupo Bimbo assumed all employee-related commitments, including pension obligations and the assumption of debt, Sara Lee said.
The food and beverage company also announced that the sale of its fresh bakery businesses in Spain and Portugal to Grupo Bimbo for EUR115m (US$158.5m) announced in October is expected to close by the end of the calendar year.
A statement on Grupo Bimbo's website said the integration of the business will be reflected in Grupo Bimbo's consolidated fourth-quarter results.
Last month Daniel Servitje, the Grupo Bimbo's CEO said the group's sales will grow 27% thanks to the Sara Lee acquisitions, as well as that of Argentinian baker Compañía de Alimentos Fargo. Following completion, Grupo Bimbo will have 154 production plants, 126,200 staff, 50,300 distribution routes, and a presence in 19 countries. Some 62% of sales will come from its international markets, according to the company.
Sara Lee yesterday announced it is in talks with private equity firm Sagard over the sale of EuroDough, the company's European chilled dough business.
US food and beverage group Sara Lee has reported a quarterly loss on the back of costs linked to the spin off of its coffee and tea business, which is scheduled for next month....
Mexican baker Grupo Bimbo has indicated that first-quarter profits almost halved as higher financing costs and margin pressure hit the bottom line....
P.F. Chang's Home Menu, a range of Asian frozen ready meals, was the best-selling new food and drink product in the US last year, according to data from SymphonyIRI....
- On the money: Hormel still looking for M&A
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV
- Mondelez eyes snacks categories in India
- Parmalat nears Lacteos Brasil acquisition
- Switz rejects EU plea to bypass Russia export ban
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration