MEXICO: Scientists get global prize for developing quality corn
The development of a new high-yield, protein-rich corn, that could help prevent malnutrition in millions of people, has earned a Mexican biochemist and an Indian plant geneticist the Millennium World Food Prize.The World Bank has sponsored the US$250,000 award, which was given to Dr. Surinder K. Vasal, 62, and Dr. Evangelina Villegas, 76, last month. Both scientists belong to the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre in Mexico.Their invention, called quality protein maize, was developed over the past 35 years, through plant breeding and biochemistry. It looks and tastes like normal maize, but contains twice the amount of lysine and tryptophan: essential amino acids.The corn was based on the discovery in the early 1960's of a corn gene - opaque-2 - that had increased lysine and tryptophan content, but which led to low yields, increased susceptibility to pests and diseases, and more importantly, a pleasantly soft chalky grain.Vasal and Villegas developed the discovery in the field and in the laboratory, generating nutritional profiles of the plants.By the mid-1990s, QPM was tested with positive results and today, a crop is expected to be grown from around one million hectares in 11 countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review