MEXICO: Scientists get global prize for developing quality corn
The development of a new high-yield, protein-rich corn, that could help prevent malnutrition in millions of people, has earned a Mexican biochemist and an Indian plant geneticist the Millennium World Food Prize.The World Bank has sponsored the US$250,000 award, which was given to Dr. Surinder K. Vasal, 62, and Dr. Evangelina Villegas, 76, last month. Both scientists belong to the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Centre in Mexico.Their invention, called quality protein maize, was developed over the past 35 years, through plant breeding and biochemistry. It looks and tastes like normal maize, but contains twice the amount of lysine and tryptophan: essential amino acids.The corn was based on the discovery in the early 1960's of a corn gene - opaque-2 - that had increased lysine and tryptophan content, but which led to low yields, increased susceptibility to pests and diseases, and more importantly, a pleasantly soft chalky grain.Vasal and Villegas developed the discovery in the field and in the laboratory, generating nutritional profiles of the plants.By the mid-1990s, QPM was tested with positive results and today, a crop is expected to be grown from around one million hectares in 11 countries across Africa, Asia, and Latin America.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report