UK: Scientists urge caution on genetically modified foods
The leading body of scientists in the UK dealt a surprise blow to advocates of genetically modified food this week when it published a surprisingly critical report. The Royal Society had been widely expected to help allay consumer concerns over the safety of GM foods. Instead, the Society called for tougher regulations before GM food is passed as safe for human consumption. It also drew particular attention to the potential risks for babies, who are more susceptible to changes in the nutritional make-up of the food they eat. The Society's report went on to call for a thorough re-examination of UK and EU laws to ensure testing of any GM ingredients for use in infant formula is particularly stringent. It said the system for testing and approving ingredients should be made "more explicit and objective".
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review