USA: Self-checkout lane at Shaw's Supermarket offers added convenience for Randolph Shoppers
Customers of the Shaw's Supermarket in Randolph, MA now have option to scan, bag and pay for their purchases without cashier assistance, using the new self-service checkout lane."We have had an enthusiastic reaction from our customers," said Bernard Rogan, Shaw's Spokesperson. "It gives them an easy-to-use option for checking out, one that can help them complete their shopping trip more quickly."Shaw's selected the self-checkout developed, marketed and serviced by the NCR Corporation, which is headquartered in Dayton, Ohio. Known as the NCR Self-Checkout E-Series, the system was designed for usability by NCR's Human Factors Engineering organization. NCR is the world leader in self-service technology.The self-checkout features a bi-optic scanner/scale that has the industry's highest first-pass read rate. It also includes self-checkout software, security subsystem, and ATM-type technology that allows the shopper to pay with cash, credit or debit card. They can even use coupons and receive cash back from their transactions. When a shopper scans alcohol or tobacco products, the system alerts store personnel for age verification before the transaction can be completed."I've tried this system myself and it's as easy to operate as an ATM. All you have to do is walk up and start scanning. It has a touch screen and a friendly voice that leads you through your transaction. And if you need assistance, it signals one of our front-end managers," Rogan said.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review