DENMARK: "Serious errors" in handling of listeria outbreak
Denmark's food ministry pointed to delay between knowledge of link with meats and closure of factory
Denmark's food safety watchdog made "serious mistakes" in its handling of a listeria outbreak linked to the death of 12 people, the country's government has said.
Deli meat products manufactured by processor Jørn A. Rullepølser have been identified as the source of the outbreak, which has made 24 people ill, according to the latest data from Danish health officials.
Denmark's Ministry for Food, Agriculture and Fisheries yesterday (17 August) gave its verdict on a report from the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration (Fødevarestyrelsen) and criticised the agency.
"Where there is evidence of a direct link between food and death, enforcement authorities should immediately undertake a thorough examination of the particular business. It has not been fast enough, which is reprehensible," Food Minister Dan Jørgensen said.
A spokesperson for the ministry said the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration discovered a link between the manufacturer and the outbreak strain of listeria in mid-July but not close the factory for three weeks.
There was also a delay in informing senior executives within the adminstration, the ministry spokesperson added.
Jørgensen said the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration had "tightened their internal procedures". According to the ministry spokesperson, the person in charge of the alert system within the administration has been replaced.
Those who died had underlying medical conditions, so consumption of the products cannot said to be the direct cause of death, Danish health officials have said.
Sectors: Meat & poultry
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019