NETHERLANDS: Sligro upbeat on market share, as Q4 sales slow
Dutch supermarket operator and wholesaler Sligro has said it continued to gain market share in 2012, despite slowing sales momentum.
For the 12 months to the end of December, Sligro's like-for-like net sales rose by 1.9%, roughly half the rate of growth registered in 2011. Fourth-quarter sales, meanwhile, were flat against the same period of the previous year on a like-for-like basis.
Commenting to just-food following the release of figures, a Sligro spokesperson said the firm's expectations for the fourth quarter had been "a little better" than its published figures.
"Dutch consumers are very reluctant to spend their money and this has worsened during 2012," he said. However, he added: "As always our foodservice business is doing very well in a tough enviroment [and] we keep on winning market share."
Sligro's total net sales for 2012 came in at EUR2.47bn (US$3.28bn), up 1.9% on 2011. Its foodservice business saw sales rise by 1.6% to EUR1.6bn, while the food retail unit increased sales by 2.7% to EUR833m, despite minimal growth in the final three months of the year.
Sligro said it will publish full results figures on 24 January.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report