USA: Smithfield comments on Tyson-IBP merger announcement
Joseph W. Luter, III, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD), yesterday issued the following statement in response to the announcement by Tyson Foods that they have signed a definitive merger agreement to acquire IBP for $30 in cash and stock. ``After conducting our due diligence process, we made an offer Friday afternoon, followed by an increased offer Sunday, to acquire all of the outstanding shares of IBP for $32 per share in a tax-free stock-for-stock combination. That offer expired at noon today under its own terms. We received no response to the increased offer from the IBP Special Committee. We believe that our offer was a full and fair price for the company, but given the additional synergies we identified during the due diligence process, it was within the bounds of our commitment to only do transactions that will be accretive and therefore, add value to our shareholders. With our track record of successfully integrating acquisitions and creating shareholder value, we believed then -- as we believe now -- that our proposal was the best proposal for IBP shareholders. We are confident that over the next 12 months and beyond the IBP shareholders will, in hindsight, conclude that our offer would have created superior value.''
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review