USA: Smithfield Foods completes Packerland acquisition
Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD) yestrday completed the acquisition of Packerland Holdings, Inc., the fifth largest beef processor in the United States, for $250 million, including the assumption of debt. The agreement in principle was announced September 7. Smithfield Foods acquired 100 percent of the outstanding capital shares of Packerland in exchange for approximately 6.4 million shares of Smithfield common stock and the assumption of approximately $118 million in debt and other liabilities. Based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Packerland was privately held by management and an outside investor. The company has a daily processing capacity of 6,150 head and represents approximately five percent of the beef industry capacity.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- 2017: food policy hotspots in the UK, EU and US
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Weetabix takeover talk gathers pace
- Unilever rebrands I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Boparan confirms interest in Fox's Biscuits
- Update - Pladis not bidding for Weetabix