USA: Smithfield Foods completes Packerland acquisition
Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD) yestrday completed the acquisition of Packerland Holdings, Inc., the fifth largest beef processor in the United States, for $250 million, including the assumption of debt. The agreement in principle was announced September 7. Smithfield Foods acquired 100 percent of the outstanding capital shares of Packerland in exchange for approximately 6.4 million shares of Smithfield common stock and the assumption of approximately $118 million in debt and other liabilities. Based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Packerland was privately held by management and an outside investor. The company has a daily processing capacity of 6,150 head and represents approximately five percent of the beef industry capacity.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Icelandic to sell Saucy Fish Co. owner Seachill
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre