USA: Smithfield Foods earnings to exceed expectations in fourth quarter; board votes to increase shares in anticipation of stock split; company to acquire beef processor Moyer Packing
Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD) announced yesterday that earnings in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2001, which will end April 29, are expected to exceed $.85 per share, prior to unusual items, which is well above investor expectations. The company reported earnings of $.51 per share in the fourth quarter last year. In the fourth quarter the company will record unusual gains of about five cents per share on the sale of a processing plant in Canada and about three cents per share on the sale of IBP, inc. stock.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Brazil seeks to cool concerns over meat probe
- Lactalis fails to hit threshold to delist Parmalat
- US meal delivery service Blue Apron buys BN Ranch
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast