USA: Smithfield Foods Reports Third Quarter Earnings
Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD) today reported earnings for the third quarter ended January 28, 2001 of $80.8 million, or $1.46 per diluted share, compared to $17.5 million, or $.36 per diluted share a year ago. Results in the quarter included a nonrecurring, pretax gain of $76.5 million from the sale of 6.7 million shares of IBP, inc. The company estimates that expenses incurred during the quarter related to the attempted merger and subsequent sale were $7.5 million. The after-tax gain on the sale, net of expenses, amounted to $43.6 million, or $.79 per diluted share. Excluding this nonrecurring gain, net income totaled $37.2 million, or $.67 per diluted share for the third quarter of fiscal 2001.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid