USA: Smithfield Foods Reports Third Quarter Earnings
Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD) today reported earnings for the third quarter ended January 28, 2001 of $80.8 million, or $1.46 per diluted share, compared to $17.5 million, or $.36 per diluted share a year ago. Results in the quarter included a nonrecurring, pretax gain of $76.5 million from the sale of 6.7 million shares of IBP, inc. The company estimates that expenses incurred during the quarter related to the attempted merger and subsequent sale were $7.5 million. The after-tax gain on the sale, net of expenses, amounted to $43.6 million, or $.79 per diluted share. Excluding this nonrecurring gain, net income totaled $37.2 million, or $.67 per diluted share for the third quarter of fiscal 2001.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- Trump seen as negative for global food trade
- 2017: food policy hotspots in the UK, EU and US
- Analysis: B&G Foods balancing growth and decline
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- Weetabix takeover talk gathers pace
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- Unilever rebrands I Can't Believe It's Not Butter
- Boparan confirms interest in Fox's Biscuits
- Update - Pladis not bidding for Weetabix