USA: Smithfield Foods' stake in Pinnacle Foods grows northeastern case-ready business
Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD) today announced another transaction to build its case-ready meat business in the Northeast United States. By acquiring a stake in Pinnacle Foods, Inc. (OTC: PFOD), a provider of case-ready meat (pork, beef, lamb and veal) to retail supermarkets in the Northeast, Smithfield is taking advantage of the synergies initially created by the recently-announced agreement to purchase Moyer Packing Company last week. The combined distribution capabilities of the three companies will accelerate Smithfield's efforts in the critical Northeast market. With square footage at a premium, the company believes that supermarkets in New York and throughout the Northeast are prime candidates for case-ready meat products.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target