USA: Smithfield Foods to acquire Packerland
Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD) Friday (7 September) announced an agreement in principle to acquire Packerland Holdings, Inc., the fifth largest beef processor in the United States, for $250 million. Terms of the agreement call for Smithfield Foods to acquire 100 percent of the outstanding capital shares of Packerland in exchange for approximately 3.2 million shares of Smithfield common stock and the assumption of approximately $118 million in debt and other liabilities. Based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Packerland is privately held by management and an outside investor.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Kerry Group staff in Ireland suspend strike action
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO