USA: Smithfield Foods to acquire Packerland
Smithfield Foods, Inc. (NYSE: SFD) Friday (7 September) announced an agreement in principle to acquire Packerland Holdings, Inc., the fifth largest beef processor in the United States, for $250 million. Terms of the agreement call for Smithfield Foods to acquire 100 percent of the outstanding capital shares of Packerland in exchange for approximately 3.2 million shares of Smithfield common stock and the assumption of approximately $118 million in debt and other liabilities. Based in Green Bay, Wisconsin, Packerland is privately held by management and an outside investor.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast
- Unilever invests in Dutch meat substitute project
- Lactalis fails to hit threshold to delist Parmalat
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry