USA: Smithfield Foods to buy Farmland Foods for $367.4m
US pork producer Smithfield Foods has announced that it was the successful bidder at an auction to acquire Farmland Foods, the pork production and processing business of bankrupt Farmland Industries, for US$367.4m in cash. Smithfield said it will also assume certain Farmland liabilities, including the pension obligations, and associated assets, of both Farmland Foods and Farmland Industries, as well as certain post petition liabilities. Smithfield's agreement to assume the pension obligations was valued at $90m by the debtor.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Quorn CEO sets out stall for 2017 - interview
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti