USA: Smithfield Foods to buy Farmland Foods for $367.4m
US pork producer Smithfield Foods has announced that it was the successful bidder at an auction to acquire Farmland Foods, the pork production and processing business of bankrupt Farmland Industries, for US$367.4m in cash. Smithfield said it will also assume certain Farmland liabilities, including the pension obligations, and associated assets, of both Farmland Foods and Farmland Industries, as well as certain post petition liabilities. Smithfield's agreement to assume the pension obligations was valued at $90m by the debtor.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Interview: A2 Milk Co. chair firm's rapid rise
- Unilever launches operational review
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Nestle launches global sugar target
- 'City institutions behind bid for Fox's Biscuits'
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea