USA: Smithfield Foods to buy Farmland Foods for $367.4m
US pork producer Smithfield Foods has announced that it was the successful bidder at an auction to acquire Farmland Foods, the pork production and processing business of bankrupt Farmland Industries, for US$367.4m in cash. Smithfield said it will also assume certain Farmland liabilities, including the pension obligations, and associated assets, of both Farmland Foods and Farmland Industries, as well as certain post petition liabilities. Smithfield's agreement to assume the pension obligations was valued at $90m by the debtor.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target