US: Smithfield Foods to form JV with Kansas Sausage Co.
The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013
US meat processor Smithfield Foods plans to form a joint venture with Kansas City Sausage Co.
The transaction, announced today (15 February), will be funded with cash and will be a 50/50 partnership deal. Smithfield said it will allow the company to grow in two categories it that have not historically been a focus: breakfast sausage and dinner sausage.
"With our strong ongoing focus on building our packaged meats business, and with 15% of the US sow population, this joint venture is a logical fit for Smithfield. These categories represent over $4bn in retail and foodservice sales annually," Smithfield president and CEO Larry Pope said.
The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2013 and is subject to customary closing conditions and regulatory approvals.
The US government is to extend its review of the planned takeover of Smithfield Foods by China's biggest pork producer, Shuanghui International. ...
- Why Arla upbeat about LatAm prospects
- M&A Watch - Could Cloetta be takeover target?
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Comment: Can Applegate retain trust under Hormel?
- Yildiz eyeing further deals - reports
- Weetabix gets new private-equity investor
- PAI, Pamplona "eyeing Bakkavor stake"
- Food industry news of week: GMOs, Arla, Mondelez
- FrieslandCampina ends Bongrain German tie-up
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- The Future of the Ice Cream Market in the United Kingdom to 2019
- Successful New Product Development Strategies in the Food, Drinks and Personal Care Market
- Marks & Spencer (Asia Pacific) Ltd in Retailing (Hong Kong, China)
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report