USA: Smithfield mounts legal challenge to Iowa ban on livestock ownership
US meatpacker Smithfield Foods Inc. has mounted a legal challenge to Iowa's law prohibiting meatpacker ownership of livestock. The company has been joined by fellow meat processors Murphy Farms LLC and Prestage-Stoecker in its legal challenge. Smithfield feels that it was unfairly singled out by the Iowa Legislature last spring when it reinforced its prohibition of packers owning livestock in Iowa.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- ABF on Brexit, M&A and grocery - interview
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- Japan's Nagatanien buys Chaucer Food Group
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods