JAPAN: Snow Brand Food admits to second label scandal, will halt beef production
Snow Brand Food Co (SBF), a subsidiary of dairy giant Snow Brand, said earlier today [Monday] that it will halt production and sales of its beef products indefinitely. In a press conference, it also confirmed that it is guilty of a second labelling scandal, in which meat from Hokkaido, northern Japan, was relabelled as coming from Kumamoto in the south. Japan's second case of mad-cow disease was found to have originated in Hokkaido in November last year and the company explained that its actions were taken after some buyers refused to take beef from the Hokkaido region.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Brazil giants JBS, BRF probed over alleged bribery