FRANCE: Sodiaal's Candia to close three milk plants
Candia, a subsidiary of French milk co-operative Sodiaal, plans to close three of its eight milk packing plants.
Candia said it will enter into consultation with employees, having submitted the proposal to staff representatives. The move will impact 313 workers at its facilities in Lude, Saint-Yorre and Villefranche-sur-Saone, who will be offered alternative employment at other sites.
Candia said it aims to make the company's milk production "sustainable" by consolidating its manufacturing base. "Every year sees [Candia's] competitiveness deteriorate in the face European competition," the company warned.
The reorganisation is expected to come into effect in 2014.
The members of the Fromagerie de Blâmont (FdB) co-operative in eastern France, have voted in favour of merging its activities with those of Sodiaal....
Sodiaal-owned Entremont has launched a range of cheese balls for the French market named Apéro cheese....
Union officials representing staff at Sodiaal has criticised the French dairy giant for being interested in factories owned by rival Terra Lacta - as it plans to close three of its own plants....
Sodiaal-owned French dairy Candia incurred losses of EUR25m (US$32.7m) last year as dairy groups struggles to cover cost increases....
- Rise of prepared foods in US grocers - analysis
- Hershey results, outlook, M&A - the top takeaways
- How are brands organising for e-commerce?
- Work on sugar could stir more clean-label concerns
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Fazer buys European biscuit brands from Mondelez
- Mondelez sees stronger margins, LFL growth
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream finalise joint venture plans
- Pinnacle Foods names Mondelez's Mark Clouse CEO
- ConAgra sells two bakeries to Alpha Baking