UK: 2 Sisters: Solway Foods arm "at risk" of closure
2 Sisters Solway Foods in Corby faces possible closure
At least 900 jobs are at risk from the possible closure of 2 Sisters Food Group's Solway Foods business in Corby was announced.
The business has entered into a consultation process with staff. A spokesperson confirmed to just-food "all options" were being looked at with closure "a risk" but being the "absolute last resort."
"Despite considerable investment over the past two years, our current assessment is that on-going additional funding is required just to keep pace with the demands of a modern high-care food production facility," a statement from 2 Sisters read.
"The scale of this continuing investment means the site would potentially not be viable in the long term. In addition, the complexity of serving a wide customer base with an ever-increasing product mix is not a viable proposition for the future," it continued.
At the end of January, just-food reported on staff at the facility voting to strike in a dispute over pay and working conditions.
The 2 Sisters spokesperson told just-food today the announcement of a possible closure had "nothing to do with previous strike activity".
The Corby-based Solway facility manufactures sandwiches and has supplied to customers including Tesco and Costa.
Biscuits in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018)...
Chilled & Deli Food in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contain...
Chilled & Deli Food in the United Kingdom industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile ...
Ready Meals in Europe industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also contains descri...
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Findus: "No sale process underway" in UK
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Hovis CFO Michael Kennedy exits
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019