UK: Somerfield to axe home shopping via internet
Struggling supermarket chain Somerfield is pulling out of its online shopping business, with the loss of 226 jobs. Reasons cited include lack of growth the significant distraction to management at a time when its focus has to be on the core Somerfield and Kwik Save business.Another look at e-commerce food retailing at some stage in the future has not been ruled out providing the decision would have no impact on Somerfield's main home delivery service which is set to expand. Somerfield, which last month announced a 9.8% fall in fourth quarter sales, is understood to be losing up to £1m a month from the 24-7 home shopping division. It has been said that most of the country's larger food retailers offered home shopping services, but few were yet seeing any profits from them.The business will stop taking orders from Monday 19 June and will cease trading on 25 June. The fleet of delivery vans will be used to expand the group's home delivery service, which will be extended into more stores. Shares in the company rose slightly on the news which is expected to prompt a rethink among smaller retailers, who have been rushing to join the e-commerce revolution.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review