AUSTRALIA: South Johnstone highlights problems facing entire sugar industry
In debt to the tune of A$25m, the Queensland-based South Johnstone sugar mill has been placed into receivership this month. Many problems have confronted the entire sugar industry over recent years. The impact of several wet seasons has hit hard and global prices for the commodity has plummeted. Many growers have questioned why the industry-wide problems should have such a dramatic effect on South Johnstone, but the ill-equipped management has also been blamed for the receivership order.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Column: Kraft Heinz, Unilever and sustainability
- Unilever 'lining up spreads sale'
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- BRF plant suspended amid bribery allegations
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast