AUSTRALIA: South Johnstone highlights problems facing entire sugar industry
In debt to the tune of A$25m, the Queensland-based South Johnstone sugar mill has been placed into receivership this month. Many problems have confronted the entire sugar industry over recent years. The impact of several wet seasons has hit hard and global prices for the commodity has plummeted. Many growers have questioned why the industry-wide problems should have such a dramatic effect on South Johnstone, but the ill-equipped management has also been blamed for the receivership order.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- Comment: Premier has more to ponder than Brexit
- The food market in 2017 - consumer trends and M&A
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- Nestle mum on Mead Johnson takeover talk
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Mondelez sells Vegemite to Bega
- Kellogg to slash 250 jobs