AUSTRALIA: South Johnstone highlights problems facing entire sugar industry
In debt to the tune of A$25m, the Queensland-based South Johnstone sugar mill has been placed into receivership this month. Many problems have confronted the entire sugar industry over recent years. The impact of several wet seasons has hit hard and global prices for the commodity has plummeted. Many growers have questioned why the industry-wide problems should have such a dramatic effect on South Johnstone, but the ill-equipped management has also been blamed for the receivership order.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Interview: Sir Kensington's on sale to Unilever
- Interview: "Disruptive" snack brand Hippeas
- Analysis: Post discusses rationale for Weetabix
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Unilever buys US condiments maker Sir Kensington's
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Icelandic to sell Saucy Fish Co. owner Seachill
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- Hershey steps up work on calories