SWITZ: Spar launches Express format
Spar International's Swiss arm has launched its first Express convenience store in the country.
The company, which has partnered with Swiss fuel retailer A.H. Meyer & Cie, opened the first Swiss Spar Express store was opened on Wednesday (6 July) in Zurich.
A second store will open on 15 July and, if the pilot proves successful, Spar and A.H. Meyer plan to rebrand the fuel retailer's Avia outlets to Spar Express.
The Express format focuses exclusively on petrol forecourts and Spar was keen to emphasise the freshness of the food on offer.
"With Spar Express, we offer our customers high-quality fresh products seven days a week," Alain Franz, operations manager of the local Spar Handels arm, said.
The retailer said the Express store would offer fresh sandwiches, salads, croissants and "freshly-baked" pizzas within the products on sale.
Spar already operates the Express format in Germany alongside partners including fuel retailer Jet.
There's been a sense of boldness from the world of food this past week, with companies making interesting moves into new products, acquisitions and territories....
Sam Webb discusses emerging markets and consumer confidence with Tobias Wasmuht, international retail and marketing director of Spar International, as well as managing director of Spar China, having l...
Spar stores in the UK have rolled out a marketing campaign that compares its prices with those in Tesco's convenience outlets....
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Is Mondelez's margin target hurting sales?
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz returns to organic growth, ups margins
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid