SWITZ: Spar launches Express format
Spar International's Swiss arm has launched its first Express convenience store in the country.
The company, which has partnered with Swiss fuel retailer A.H. Meyer & Cie, opened the first Swiss Spar Express store was opened on Wednesday (6 July) in Zurich.
A second store will open on 15 July and, if the pilot proves successful, Spar and A.H. Meyer plan to rebrand the fuel retailer's Avia outlets to Spar Express.
The Express format focuses exclusively on petrol forecourts and Spar was keen to emphasise the freshness of the food on offer.
"With Spar Express, we offer our customers high-quality fresh products seven days a week," Alain Franz, operations manager of the local Spar Handels arm, said.
The retailer said the Express store would offer fresh sandwiches, salads, croissants and "freshly-baked" pizzas within the products on sale.
Spar already operates the Express format in Germany alongside partners including fuel retailer Jet.
There's been a sense of boldness from the world of food this past week, with companies making interesting moves into new products, acquisitions and territories....
Sam Webb discusses emerging markets and consumer confidence with Tobias Wasmuht, international retail and marketing director of Spar International, as well as managing director of Spar China, having l...
Spar stores in the UK have rolled out a marketing campaign that compares its prices with those in Tesco's convenience outlets....
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Quorn CEO sets out stall for 2017 - interview
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti