CZECH: Spar looks to expand supermarket chain
The Austrian arm of global symbol retailer Spar International is to turn its attentions to expanding its network of smaller supermarket stores in the Czech Republic.
Spar, which to date has focused primarily on hypermarkets in the Czech Republic, currently has four smaller supermarket stores. The retailer said it has plans to build between ten and 12 stores over the next two to three years.
The first will open in Prague in mid-2011.
"We made this decision because smaller formats are becoming more popular as people due to faster lifestyle want to do their shopping quickly," spokeswoman for the Austrian company in Czech Republic Katerina Reháková told Just-food.
Besides the four supermarkets, Spar currently also operates 33 hypermarkets in the Czech Republic. The only retail chain that solely owns supermarkets here is Billa.
This month's exclusive just-food management briefing looks at online food retail, a growing sector but one that operators have found a tough nut to crack. In part one, Glynn Davis argues that the cost...
In part two of this month's briefing on online food retail, Glynn Davis outlines the key operating models used by the main operators. Industry watchers believe retailers are moving away from using pic...
In part three of the just-food management briefing on online food retail, Glynn Davis provides examples of some of the more notable ventures in the sector - from Tesco and Ocado in the UK to Migros Gr...
The week saw more of the major food manufacturers report their half-year results. Aside from their numbers, Danone faced questions on the performance of its business in Russia, while Hershey's new CEO...
Tesco and Lidl are among three retailers under investigation in the Czech Republic for the alleged mis-use of their position in the market. ...
The chief executive of Indian retailer Aditya Birla Retail has said he supports the idea of opening the country's retail sector to more foreign investment....
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- What the analysts say: Unilever's mixed 2014
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Lifeway Foods CEO denies sale talks
- Unilever revenues disappoint as food sales fall
- Hovis CFO Michael Kennedy exits
- Weston Foods acquires Creative Occasions
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019