USA: Spartan Stores completes sale of 17 Food Town stores
US supermarket operator Spartan Stores has announced that it has completed the sale of 17 Food Town retail grocery stores in the Toledo, Ohio and Southeast Michigan market area.
Thirteen of these stores, located in the Toledo area, were sold to grocery retailer The Kroger Co for an undisclosed sum.
Under terms of the agreements, net proceeds from the sale of the 17 stores will approximate $30m in cash. Spartan Stores intends to use the net proceeds from the transactions to reduce outstanding bank borrowings.
Spartan Stores' president and chief executive officer, Craig C. Sturken, said: "The sales are an outcome of our strategic evaluation process announced in February and will help our efforts to restore retail profitability. We are continuing to evaluate the future of the remaining Food Town stores and expect to announce those plans shortly.
"These transactions will immediately help improve our operating cash flow and allow us to concentrate resources on our best performing grocery stores in geographic areas where we have the strongest growth potential."
Companies: The Kroger Co
Companies such as Wal-Mart, Carrefour and Tesco have been international retailers for some time, but there is still room for expansion. As competition in established markets gets tougher and tougher, ...
Kroger Cheese Pizza Bites have been recalled due to the inclusion of an undeclared allergen....
Retail grocery chain The Kroger posted a strong sales increase of 7.3%, at US$60.6bn, for the full 2005 financial year....
NuVim, Inc said yesterday that discussions have been underway with the Kroger Company for Kroger to produce and sell NuVim products....
Grocery retailer Kroger has reported net earnings of US$185.4 m for the third quarter ended 5 November 2005. Net earnings in the year-ago period were US$142.7m....
US grocery retailer Kroger has declined to comment on reports that it is considering a preliminary bid for rival Albertson's but said it was committed to its strategy of boosting sales....
US supermarket group Albertsons has reportedly attracted a preliminary takeover bid from rival grocery retailer Kroger....
US natural and specialty foods distributor Tree of Life has announced that it has been unable to reach agreement with US grocery retailer Ralphs on the terms of any future business relationship....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report