USA: Spartan Stores sees Q4 net sales drop 11.7%, to focus on growth in 2003
Grand Rapids, Michigan-based Spartan Stores grocery chain has reported financial results for the Q4 and FY 2002, ended 30 March 2002. Consolidated net sales for the Q4 decreased 11.7% to US$764.8m, year on year. Excluding the effect of an early Easter holiday this year and the 53rd week of sales in last year's Q4, consolidated net sales would have been US$756.3m this year compared with US$800.6m last year, a decline of 5.5%. Adjusting for the early holiday and the extra week of sales in fiscal 2001's Q4, retail comparable-stores sales declined 6.6% for the quarter. Sales were affected by the competitive market conditions in the company's Ohio region, continuing difficult economic conditions in its Michigan markets, and unfavourably mild winter weather in its northern Michigan resort areas.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Nestle India grows with global, digital innovation
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Focus: Thai demographics drive health categories
- The promise of fledgling Czech gluten-free market
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Campbell backs US nutrition start-up Habit
- Nestle's Buitoni to remove GMOs
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Meat Processing in China - Industry Market Research Report