AUSTRALIA: Speculation on Coles Myer's future prompted by results
Supermarket giant Coles Myer released its results yesterday (12 October), prompting speculation on two levels. Firstly as to the levels of shareholder support it is maintaining, and secondly as to whether the retailer thinks that shareholder fidelity is all that really matters for the time being anyway. Coles is claiming that the A$483m profit is a record figure, especially impressive considering the difficult trading environment currently being experienced in the retail sector. Five years ago, however, the group posted profits of A$423m that were not far off the present level; and since then the company has been bolstered with capital expenditure of A$7bn.Recent performance on the stockmarket has been dismal, and attempts to win back the shareholders were expected. On the whole, however, returns for shareholders have rested around 17.7%. And, with the recent announcement that Coles is embarking on a buyback scheme estimated to be worth A$220m, many have suggested that the supermarket is more interested in redevelopment than holding onto shareholders.Speculation on the chain's international expansion has abounded since the early 1990s, but until now Coles has been more focused on consolidating its Australian market share.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review