UK/NETHERLANDS: Spreads market challenge but ice cream joy for Unilever
Unilever said "declining" spreads market was hitting its growth in category
Buoyant ice cream sales cheered Unilever in its first quarter, although the group admitted declining spreads markets was limiting its growth in that category.
The Magnum maker said a "very good start to the ice cream season in Europe" had contributed to a 5.9% rise in underlying sales from its refreshments division in the three months to the end of March.
Sales from Unilever's food business were lower year-on-year. The company said the 1.7% fall in underlying food sales could be "largely explained" by the later Easter this year.
However, the Flora owner revealed continued challenges in the spreads sector. Although Unilever insisted it was gaining share in the margarine sectors in North America and Europe, it said the "decline" of the market was a "drag on our spreads growth".
The company said its Knorr cooking products "did well", while the performance of its dressings business was "stable".
Turnover from Unilever's food arm reached EUR3bn (US$4.15bn). The 1.7% drop in underlying sales came amid a 2% fall in underlying volumes.
Revenue from Unilever's refreshments arm hit EUR2.1bn. Unilever's refreshments business also includes its tea brands, which enjoyed growth in markets including the UK and the US.
On a group-wide basis, underlying sales were up 3.6%. Turnover decreased 6.3% to EUR11.4bn thanks to the impact of exchange rates.
Alongside the results, Unilever confirmed it is reviewing its options over the future of its Slim.Fast and North America pasta sauces businesses.
Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and c...
just-food's contributing editor Ben Cooper predicts what will be the key issues in food sustainability circles in 2015, with the debate over sugar likely to continue to rage, while supply chains - in ...
Synopsis Canadean's "Unilever N.V. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contai...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Unilever PLC (ULVR) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalD...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- PepsiCo rolls out "sweet" Cheetos
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report