PUERTO RICO: Star Kist in trouble
Star Kist Caribe, a Heinz subsidiary, recently celebrated 40 years of operation in Puerto Rico, yet the plant has not lived up to its true potential. According to management, the government has not come through with promised upgrades to the Bay of Mayaguez that would have made it possible to increase both production and cost competitiveness. The finger of blame was pointed at the Industrial Promotion Company of Puerto Rico (Pridco), the ports authority, and the corps of engineers for not dredging a channel which would have allowed heavier ships to enter the port of Mayaguez and leave off their cargo at the plant. Star Kist plant, which has a cooking capacity of 16 tonnes, is a leading employer in the region and, until recent years, generated 36 percent of the industrial jobs in Western Puerto Rico. Since then, the lack of a deep channel has eaten into the plant's ability to compete with others in the Pacific. This in turn caused the layoff of more than 1,500 workers. The plant now employs 1,700 workers and has an annual payroll of US$25m.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review