REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Start-Up date for the National Sheep Identification System (NSIS)
The Minister for Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Mr Joe Walsh TD, has welcomed the start-up today of the National Sheep Identification System (NSIS). "This is a red letter day for all involved in Ireland's sheep sector, whether they are producers, processors or involved in marketing our sheepmeat," the Minister said. "The NSIS system which came into operation throughout the country this morning is a major, positive development which has the potential to deliver far-reaching benefits in the areas of disease monitoring and control, traceability and consumer assurance and marketing. In putting into place a system by which every sheep will be individually numbered and can be traced from farm of origin to finished carcass we have brought a new level of badly needed transparency and accountability to the sector. This will enable us to remedy many of the shortcomings which have existed for some time and which the FMD saga so graphically illustrated, and to deal effectively with those who might engage in abuses in relation to identification, importation or other areas. The NSIS system places Ireland to the fore within the EU in terms of sheep traceability systems and has established a basis on which we can build in many different ways as we move forward."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- What Premier CEO Gavin Darby thinks about Brexit
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti