REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Start-Up date for the National Sheep Identification System (NSIS)
The Minister for Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Mr Joe Walsh TD, has welcomed the start-up today of the National Sheep Identification System (NSIS). "This is a red letter day for all involved in Ireland's sheep sector, whether they are producers, processors or involved in marketing our sheepmeat," the Minister said. "The NSIS system which came into operation throughout the country this morning is a major, positive development which has the potential to deliver far-reaching benefits in the areas of disease monitoring and control, traceability and consumer assurance and marketing. In putting into place a system by which every sheep will be individually numbered and can be traced from farm of origin to finished carcass we have brought a new level of badly needed transparency and accountability to the sector. This will enable us to remedy many of the shortcomings which have existed for some time and which the FMD saga so graphically illustrated, and to deal effectively with those who might engage in abuses in relation to identification, importation or other areas. The NSIS system places Ireland to the fore within the EU in terms of sheep traceability systems and has established a basis on which we can build in many different ways as we move forward."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Interview: The Soulfull Project's mission
- Post Holdings 'close to acquiring Weetabix'
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Recipe-kit firm HelloFresh launches into UK retail
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action