US: Stater Bros. Q1 sales drop, profits up
Californian retailer Stater Bros. has booked a drop in sales for its fiscal first quarter, despite an increase in profits.
The company reported net income for the 13 weeks to 27 December of US$6.7m compared to net income of $3.5m in the prior year.
However, Consolidated sales dropped 3.7% to $923.9m, with like-store sales dipping 2.2%.
The firm’s total supermarket sales were relatively flat, declining 1.1%.
Jack Brown, chairman, president and CEO of Stater Bros said: “During the quarter we completed the sale of the dairy to Dean Foods. We sold the dairy for the right business reason, which was to protect the jobs of our employees at the dairy.
"While our quarterly like-store sales declined over the previous year, our customer counts were up over the same time last year. We remain committed to cost control as we navigate through this national economic recovery."
Each of last week's three major M&A deals - the sale of French frozen-food retailer Picard to yet another private equity house, dairy giant Lactalis buying UK organic firm Rachel's and MWBrands, the c...
Two UK household food brands found new owners this week, with the sales of the Rachel's organic dairy business and canned tuna maker John West. In France, frozen-food retailer Picard was snapped in an...
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image