CANADA: Stevia gets Canada approval
Stevia has been permitted for use in Canada
Canada has become the latest country to approve the use of stevia in food and beverages.
Health Canada said on Friday (30 November) it has authorised the use of the sugar substitute as a food additive for products. Previously it was only available as a natural health product in the country.
In an announcement to the London Stock Exchange, Stevia producer PureCircle welcomed the move. CEO Magomet Malsagov said it is "another important milestone in the expansion of PureCircle's global footprint".
He added: "Following two years of working with Health Canada, we are proud to have played an important role in gaining approval for use of our proprietary portfolio of stevia ingredients.
"PureCircle's activities in this market are well underway and we are fully prepared to service our customers for new growth."
A year ago, stevia was approved by the European Commission for use in EU markets.
McCain Foods will have to offload the Lutosa retail brand in Europe after the EU looked into the impact of the Canadian giant's acquisition of the business from rival PinguinLutosa....
More products were found to contain horsemeat in France than any other EU country, according to results published by The European Commission today....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- German dairy group DMK names Ingo Mueller new CEO
- Brexit - UK food trade body issues warning
- Europe's food firms slam French origin labels plan
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights