CANADA: Stevia gets Canada approval
Stevia has been permitted for use in Canada
Canada has become the latest country to approve the use of stevia in food and beverages.
Health Canada said on Friday (30 November) it has authorised the use of the sugar substitute as a food additive for products. Previously it was only available as a natural health product in the country.
In an announcement to the London Stock Exchange, Stevia producer PureCircle welcomed the move. CEO Magomet Malsagov said it is "another important milestone in the expansion of PureCircle's global footprint".
He added: "Following two years of working with Health Canada, we are proud to have played an important role in gaining approval for use of our proprietary portfolio of stevia ingredients.
"PureCircle's activities in this market are well underway and we are fully prepared to service our customers for new growth."
A year ago, stevia was approved by the European Commission for use in EU markets.
McCain Foods will have to offload the Lutosa retail brand in Europe after the EU looked into the impact of the Canadian giant's acquisition of the business from rival PinguinLutosa....
More products were found to contain horsemeat in France than any other EU country, according to results published by The European Commission today....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report