UK: Store closures hit Thorntons sales
Thorntons has booked a drop in third-quarter sales as store closures and a difficult trading environment dented the chocolate group's result.
Total sales in the three months to 28 April fell 2.7% to GBP62.4m (US$101m), the group revealed today (3 May).
During the period, Thorntons closed 11 of its company-owned shops as part of its store-closure programme.
The company sells chocolate through its own retail outlets, franchised branded shops and supermarkets. It announced last June that it plans to close 180 outlets over the next three years in order to increase its focus on selling chocolate products through the retail multiples.
Excluding store closures, Thorntons said sales were broadly flat. The group witnessed a 1.6% drop in like-for-like sales at its own stores, while franchise stores sale sales gain 12.6%,
Despite a "good" Easter, CEO Jonathan Hart said that the "difficult consumer environment continues".
"We continue to focus on restoring profitability and we are seeing early signs of progress resulting in an overall satisfactory trading performance," he commented.
Click here for the full release.
Dessert brand Gü and Ben & Jerry's ice cream ramped up the discounts they offered to UK consumers in July, according to the latest data from the just-food Promo Tracker....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- How local model protects Nestle - interview
- Quorn Foods confident in prospects - interview
- Brexit sparks uncertainty for UK food - comment
- Nestle's focus on food for health - interview
- Nestle names new CEO
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Healthier food a major opportunity for food makers
- Brexit – UK farmers warn of food price spike
- Brexit – US confirms commitment to TTIP with EU
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016