CHILE: Strong demand for Chilean salmon
Salmon has been a leading generator of export earnings for Chile in recent years, and industry leaders project continued growth. Pesquera Mar de Chiloe, one of the world's leading salmon producers, anticipates sales of US$80m this year, up 33% from the level in 2000. Management projects that its sales will triple over the next ten years.
The US is the strongest single export market for Chilean salmon. As a result, any downturn in economic activity there could put a serious dent in Chile's foreign sales.
By Steve Lewis, just-food.com correspondent
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Interview: KP Snacks on growth strategy
- Tyson shops Sara Lee bakery, Kettle and Van's
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Tyson to buy burger-to-entree firm AdvancePierre
- TreeHouse Foods sells soup, baby food units