AUSTRALIA: Study revealed true cost of proposed labelling laws
If the new labelling laws get the green light, Australian consumers could find themselves paying up to 2% more for their weekly shop.The Australian Food and Grocery Council (AFGC) has expressed outrage that the "seriously flawed" proposals are still being considered, and CEO Mitchel Hooke commented that ANZFA was wrong in promoting the labelling legislation publicly before a governmental decision was made and without considering the businesses involved. "We [do not] dispute… matter of public health and safety. We are opposed to the mandatory labelling provisions which are likely to confuse, mislead and cost consumers unnecessarily," Hooke said.To fully assess the impact of new nutrient and ingredient labelling requirements, the AFGC commissioned a KPMG study, which has revealed that food and drinks companies across Australia and New Zealand can expect to face costs of up to A$400m, causing a 2% rise in the price of food. Taxpayers can also expect a A$15m burden for enforcement of the laws.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review