PHILIPPINES: Sugar production through joint venture with Thailand
A memorandum has been signed by Horacio Morales Jr, Secretary of the Philippine Department of Agrarian Reform (DAR), representatives of Sutech Engineering Co. Ltd, and the Thai government. The agreement represents the first step in a joint sugar production venture.The proposed venture will be based in reform communities in the Southern Philippines, and is aimed at enhancing sugar production and increasing the income and machine technology available to sugar farmers. In the meantime, however, the DAR has undertaken to identify the project site, survey the land, and coordinate agrarian reform with beneficiaries and investors.This feasibility study estimated a total cost US$170m. Sutech has pledged to provide financial and technical backing, and additional financial aid will come from institutions such as Eximbank of Thailand, and the Japan Bank of International Cooperation.The governments are anxious to turn around the trend in sugar production over the last twenty years. During the 1970s, the Philippines was the world's largest exporter, commanding 10% of the world's sugar market. Now, however, the country imports sugar.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016