INDIA: Sugar trade must be decontrolled
At the annual general meeting of The Bombay Sugar Merchants' Association, the president, Mohan Gurnani, announced that future trading of sugar will only be possible after the Indian government completely decontrols the trade, "while retaining the monthly release mechanism and maintaining a comfortable buffer stock."Gurnani revealed that this season would witness a sugar stock carry-over of 99.45 lakh tonnes. Sugar consumption in India this season was up 5 lakh tonnes from the 150 recorded last season, and production had similarly risen to 181.5 lakh tonnes from the 155.41 lakh tonnes of the previous season. He also commented on the need for improvement within the country's infrastructure if 2000-01 export targets of 10 lakh tonnes are to be surpassed. Import duty is currently 60% on sugar, and its price on the international market is US$272 per tonne.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report