USA: Suiza - swallowing Dean Foods - COMMENT
Suiza Foods has made a bid for Dean Foods. The biggest US dairy processor and distributor, Suiza Foods, has offered $1.5 billion for its largest rival, Dean Foods. Dean has not been faring well recently, but the huge synergies expected from the deal should be enough to make up for any difficulties bringing it back to health. Suffering from increasing competition, rising costs and technological difficulties, Dean Foods announced in March that it had hired Goldman Sachs to analyze its strategic options. Suiza Foods, eager to take on board its largest rival, made a $1.5 billion bid for the company and agreed to take on $1 billion in debt. The combined company would make $10 billion annually from the sale of milk and dairy products across the US.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Mondelez set for union crosshairs next week
- Mondelez plays down impact of union action
- Brazil seeks to cool concerns over meat probe
- US meal delivery service Blue Apron buys BN Ranch