ISRAEL: Supersol launches discount retail chain
Supersol, Israel's largest food chain, has launched a discount chain, Supersol Deal, responding to two years of losing market share to small private chains.
According to a report in Globes, Supersol expects the new chain of 27 stores "to shake up the supermarket field and within two years, several private discount supermarkets will disappear from the competition".
The major chains' market share has slipped to about 50% in recent years. Effie Rosenhaus, Supersol CEO, maintains, according to the report, that the number of competitors will decline "and that Supersol and the other major supermarket chains - Blue Square and Clubmarket - will increase their collective share to 65%".
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target