US: Supervalu beats Wall St earnings forecasts
Identical-store sales from Supervalu's Save-a-Lot banner were up 3.5% in Q4
Shares in Supervalu Inc jumped today (23 April) after the US grocer reported fourth-quarter sales and adjusted earnings that came in higher than Wall Street expected.
Net earnings from continuing operations for the fourth quarter of fiscal 2014 were US$40m, or $0.15 per diluted share.
The result included charges mostly linked toemployee severance and debt financing activities.
When adjusted for these items, fourth-quarter net earnings from continuing operations were $48m, or $0.18 per diluted share.
Fourth-quarter net sales hit $3.95bn, up 1.4% on a year earlier.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had forecast Supervalu would post earnings per share of US$0.15 and net sales of $3.9bn.
The fourth-quarter profit compared with a loss from continuing operations of $25m in last year's fourth quarter.
Supervalu's results for the full year compared favourably to 2012/13. It made a net profit of $182m. Last year, it ran up a net loss of $1.47bn amid impairment charges and costs from store closures.
That year had ended with Supervalu selling off five chains to private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management in a bid to cut costs and revitalise a business that endured a run of poor annual results.
"Fiscal 2014 was an important transition year for Supervalu as we stabilised the organisation and set the foundation for our future," president and CEO Sam Duncan said. "I am pleased with the direction of our business segments and look forward to the new fiscal year where we can focus our attention on driving sales growth across the organisation."
Supervalu Inc. (Supervalu) is a wholesale and retail grocery chain. The company undertakes retail food services, and distribution services. It classified its operations into three reportable segments,...
Organic Food in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile also con...
Agricultural Products in the United States industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). ...
Vital industry-specific data including metrics, benchmarks, historic numbers, growth rates and forecasts that will save countless hours of research....
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- McCormick India JV hit by row
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015