USA: SUPERVALU buys general merchandise retailer to boost Save-A-Lot's growth
SUPERVALU, one of the largest firms in the US grocery channel, has reached an agreement to acquire St. Louis-based Deal$ - Nothing Over a Dollar, a 45-store general merchandise retailer specialising in single price point merchandise with current annualized revenues of about US$75m. The acquisition, which is expected to close in May, will accelerate the store expansion plans of SUPERVALU subsidiary Save-A-Lot. It comes as Save-A-Lot celebrates its 1,000th store opening. Save-A-Lot generates systemwide sales in excess of US$4bn and stores in 36 states and over the next few years, it is expected that Save-A-Lot will retrofit its store network to include more general merchandise.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Danone's Q1: four things to learn
- Who will buy Danone's Stonyfield business?
- Column: Why snacking is the new meal
- Opinion: Big Food needs to think radically
- Nestle Q1 update: four things to learn
- PepsiCo affirms full-year target as Q1 hits mark
- Nestle to cut UK confectionery jobs
- Glanbia signs deal on Dairy Ireland stake sale
- Dole Food Co. files to go public again
- 2 Sisters' chief Boparan invests in UK's Crawshaw