USA: SUPERVALU buys general merchandise retailer to boost Save-A-Lot's growth
SUPERVALU, one of the largest firms in the US grocery channel, has reached an agreement to acquire St. Louis-based Deal$ - Nothing Over a Dollar, a 45-store general merchandise retailer specialising in single price point merchandise with current annualized revenues of about US$75m. The acquisition, which is expected to close in May, will accelerate the store expansion plans of SUPERVALU subsidiary Save-A-Lot. It comes as Save-A-Lot celebrates its 1,000th store opening. Save-A-Lot generates systemwide sales in excess of US$4bn and stores in 36 states and over the next few years, it is expected that Save-A-Lot will retrofit its store network to include more general merchandise.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Have food promotions reached tipping point?
- Mondelez goes beyond certified cocoa - analysis
- What Premier CEO Gavin Darby thinks about Brexit
- How Tyson's new CEO plans to grow the meat group
- Nestle unveils process to cut sugar by 40%
- Putin 'wants embargo to run as long as possible'
- Unilever sets new margin target with help from ZBB
- Unilever focuses on "value" of spreads arm
- McCormick to buy flavours business Enrico Giotti