US: Supervalu "moving towards" Albertsons, Save-a-Lot sale
Supervalu "nearing" sale of Albertsons, Save-a-Lot
US retailer Supervalu Inc is reportedly moving toward a deal to sell two of its retail chains, Albertsons and Save-a-Lot, to private-equity group Cerberus Capital Management.
Last week, Supervalu confirmed it was in "active discussion with several parties" over potential disposals. The move follows a strategic review of the retailer's operations.
The group reiterated today (6 December) there is "no assurance" the ongoing negotiations "will result in any transaction or any change in the company's overall structure or its business model".
A spokesperson for supermarket operator told just-food Supervalu has "nothing additional to add" at this stage.
Supervalu purchased the Albertsons chain of stores in 2006. At this time, Cerberus was part of a consortium of investors that purchased 600 Albertsons stores not taken on by Supervalu. The private-equity group still owns 200 of these locations.
While Cerberus is tipped as the front-runner for Save-a-Lot and Albertsons, US reports have also linked investment vehicle KKR to a bid for the discount chain.
Cerberus had purportedly made a move for the entire Supervalu business, but failed to find financing at attractive enough terms.
Cerberus was unavailable for comment at time of press.
Private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, which earlier this year bought five food retail chains from Supervalu Inc, is said to be looking at more targets - including regional grocer Harris Tee...
The acquisition of 1,100 Albertsons outlets in 2006 greatly improved Supervalu Inc’s market position, propelling the wholesaler and grocery retailer to third place in supermarkets. However, the chain ...
Supervalu Inc has said CFO Sherry Smith will leave the US retailer next month....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Greencore expands UK, US sales
- Yildiz prepares to list dairy arm AK Gida
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits