US: Supervalu "moving towards" Albertsons, Save-a-Lot sale
Supervalu "nearing" sale of Albertsons, Save-a-Lot
US retailer Supervalu Inc is reportedly moving toward a deal to sell two of its retail chains, Albertsons and Save-a-Lot, to private-equity group Cerberus Capital Management.
Last week, Supervalu confirmed it was in "active discussion with several parties" over potential disposals. The move follows a strategic review of the retailer's operations.
The group reiterated today (6 December) there is "no assurance" the ongoing negotiations "will result in any transaction or any change in the company's overall structure or its business model".
A spokesperson for supermarket operator told just-food Supervalu has "nothing additional to add" at this stage.
Supervalu purchased the Albertsons chain of stores in 2006. At this time, Cerberus was part of a consortium of investors that purchased 600 Albertsons stores not taken on by Supervalu. The private-equity group still owns 200 of these locations.
While Cerberus is tipped as the front-runner for Save-a-Lot and Albertsons, US reports have also linked investment vehicle KKR to a bid for the discount chain.
Cerberus had purportedly made a move for the entire Supervalu business, but failed to find financing at attractive enough terms.
Cerberus was unavailable for comment at time of press.
Private-equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, which earlier this year bought five food retail chains from Supervalu Inc, is said to be looking at more targets - including regional grocer Harris Tee...
The acquisition of 1,100 Albertsons outlets in 2006 greatly improved Supervalu Inc’s market position, propelling the wholesaler and grocery retailer to third place in supermarkets. However, the chain ...
Supervalu Inc has said CFO Sherry Smith will leave the US retailer next month....
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide